March 5, 2011

Shooting location: EASY A [movie]


One of my favorite comedies in 2010 was EASY A starring Emma Stone. The movie was surprisingly good. I did not expect liking it so much because I am usually very picky when it comes to movies, especially with comedies.

The whole movie was shot in Ojai, California, so you can imagine my excitement when I spent an afternoon there. As a cinema lover, I always love seeing shooting location. I'll post more photos of Ojai another time; I wanted to do a blog post about the movie first, comparing the location with a  screen capture of the movie.

1. Downtown Ojai

Many scenes take place in the cute but pretty downtown of the city.


Ojai downtown Easy A post office california shooting location


Ojai downtown Easy A sign street shops california shooting location



Playhouse Ojai movie theatre california shooting location Easy A Emma Stone

2. High school

Obviously the main scenes are set in an high school which was renamed  especially for the movie. You can view a video that contains behind-the-scene footage and also shows how they changed the high-school sign for the movie. 


The high school sign Ojai california shooting location Easy A Emma Stone movie



high school Ojai california shooting location Easy A Emma Stone movie
Photo of where they usually walk while chatting in between classes.





High school lockers Ojai california shooting location Easy A Emma Stone movie
The lockers from far away taken with my point-and-shoot camera. Due to the lens flare the photo turned out to be very funky and vintage-ish.

3. The Chapel.

Chapel Ojai california shooting location Easy A Emma Stone movie
The sign of the Chapel was changed too because originally, it says Ojai Prebysterian Church.

3. Bart's Books, the outdoor bookstore.

Bookstore Ojai california shooting location Easy A Emma Stone movie
In one of the scenes, Olive, played by Emma Stone, goes to buy the Bible in a book store called Bart's Books in real life. It is one of the coolest book stores ever because it is an outdoor one! How fascinating to see book shelves full of books waiting to be bought and no sealing over your head in the majority of the shop!

I have a very bad video clip of that place, my compact camera over-exposed it, but if you want to get an idea of that store, go watch it here.


Inside Bookstore Ojai california shooting location Easy A Emma Stone movie


Bart's book bookstore Ojai california shooting location Easy A Emma Stone movie
Fiction sign bookstore Ojai california shooting location Easy A Emma Stone movie

outdoor bookstore entrance Ojai california shooting location Easy A Emma Stone movie



Trolley bookstore, bart's book Ojai california shooting location Easy A Emma Stone movie

Finally, my favorite scene from the movie.


All screen captures are the property of Sony Pictures.

4 Comments:

Matt McKinney said...

Do you happen to know the road that one would take to get up to the lookout point that Olive and Rhi go to that looks out over the whole town? Olive and her Mom go there at least once as well.

Marilyn said...

I can ask where it is exactly but when I visited my friend told me that this particular place is usually not allowed with cars, they had to get a special autorization to shoot it.

Matt McKinney said...

Gotcha, I'd be willing to walk a little ways, that would be a scenic hike.

Julius Sabania said...

Fantastic scene! This is a great location to shoot film at Los Angeles. I happen to stumble upon a shooting and it was fun to watch.

Post a Comment